From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: GCC 4.7 and LTO: it works
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 21:41:36
1 On 05/06/12 00:21, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> I've emerged system and world with gcc-4.7.0 and LTO. I'm posting from it
4 >> right now :-) It's a KDE system with 1043 packages installed.
5 >>
6 >> I've posted details on how to do this (including info on how to disable LTO
7 >> for specific packages that don't work with it) here:
8 >>
9 >> http://realnc.blogspot.com/2012/06/building-gentoo-linux-with-gcc-47-and.html
10 > [...]
11 > Do you have any measure of compile times using lto compared to not using it?
12
13 It was pretty obvious without doing any actual measurement: linking is
14 slower with LTO. Large programs even take several minutes for the link
15 step.
18 > Was there any effect on quality of debugging info in the resulting
19 > binaries? I thought I read at some point there was no (or bad) debug
20 > info with LTO. Maybe I'm thinking about clang, though.
21
22 Didn't notice anything strange yet. But I suspect that this isn't
23 important to begin with; all we need are backtraces. Thorough debugging
24 symbols are not important for emerged packages.
27 > Did you use gold or the standard linker?
28
29 The standard one. I didn't actually think about the importance of this.
30 Does gold work better with LTO?