From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GCC 4.7 and LTO: it works
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 21:23:43
1 On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I've emerged system and world with gcc-4.7.0 and LTO. I'm posting from it
3 > right now :-)  It's a KDE system with 1043 packages installed.
4 >
5 > I've posted details on how to do this (including info on how to disable LTO
6 > for specific packages that don't work with it) here:
7 >
8 > http://realnc.blogspot.com/2012/06/building-gentoo-linux-with-gcc-47-and.html
9
10 Thanks. I'm not sure if I'm ready to recompile world yet, but we'll
11 see where curiosity and boredom lead me. :) I have an older, slower
12 machine that might benefit more from small optimizations. A few
13 questions:
14
15 Do you have any measure of compile times using lto compared to not using it?
16
17 Was there any effect on quality of debugging info in the resulting
18 binaries? I thought I read at some point there was no (or bad) debug
19 info with LTO. Maybe I'm thinking about clang, though.
20
21 Did you use gold or the standard linker?