From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [~amd64] Keyboard stops working several times/day
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 19:48:34
1 On 16/08/2015 21:42, walt wrote:
2 > On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 18:58:27 +0200
3 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 16/08/2015 18:45, walt wrote:
6 >>> I've been seeing this keyboard problem for the past few weeks:
7 >>> after running some command from a bash prompt (haven't tried zsh
8 >>> yet) the keyboard stops working. Almost like somebody unplugged
9 >>> the keyboard from its usb port (except that the LED on the keyboard
10 >>> stays lit so I know the power is still on).
11 >>>
12 >>> There are no error messages in journalctl or in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
13 >>>
14 >>> I don't know how to change to a console without using a ctrl-alt-Fn
15 >>> keystroke from the keyboard (anyone know if it's possible?).
16 >>>
17 >>> When I unplug the keyboard from the usb port I can see the kernel
18 >>> recognize the unplug event, which makes me think that it's not a
19 >>> kernel/usb bug or a broken wire in the keyboard cable.
20 >>>
21 >>> When I re-plug the keyboard into a usb port the keyboard immediately
22 >>> starts working normally again until the next time I happen to
23 >>> trigger the problem by running some black-magical command from a
24 >>> command prompt. There is no particular command that causes it--it
25 >>> can be any arbitrary command AFAICT.
26 >>>
27 >>> Just one weird example: I can be typing a URL in a web browser
28 >>> window when a bash command finishes running in a terminal window
29 >>> and the keyboard stops working in the middle of my typing :(
30 >>>
31 >>> Any debugging suggestions would be most welcome.
34 >> First step (more to half the problem space than anything else):
35 >>
36 >> Does the same happen if you use another keyboard?
37 >
38 > I agree with your assessment -- and I will buy another usb keyboard
39 > tomorrow because I'm using the only one I have and this machine has no
40 > ps/2 ports. Never thought I'd miss the ps/2 ports til now :)
41
42 I kind of assumed you'd have lots of spare keyboards lying around and
43 had already done the test :-)
44
45 I myself have 4 spares lying around my home study, all functional, and
46 I'm totally at a loss to explain why so many!
47
48 Anyway, back on topic. I recall something similar happening to me,
49 perhaps a year ago or longer. I tried to debug it and gave up, then one
50 day it was no longer happening. I assumed it was a fixed kernel bug then
51 promptly forgot all about it.
52
53 While you are waiting on a new keyboard, do you have the same bug on
54 different kernels?
58 Alan McKinnon
59 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com