From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [~amd64] Keyboard stops working several times/day
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 21:08:03
1 On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 21:48:04 +0200
2 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 16/08/2015 21:42, walt wrote:
5 > > On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 18:58:27 +0200
6 > > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> On 16/08/2015 18:45, walt wrote:
9 > >>> I've been seeing this keyboard problem for the past few weeks:
10 > >>> after running some command from a bash prompt (haven't tried zsh
11 > >>> yet) the keyboard stops working. Almost like somebody unplugged
12 > >>> the keyboard from its usb port (except that the LED on the
13 > >>> keyboard stays lit so I know the power is still on).
14 > >>>
15 > >>> There are no error messages in journalctl or
16 > >>> in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
17 > >>>
18 > >>> I don't know how to change to a console without using a
19 > >>> ctrl-alt-Fn keystroke from the keyboard (anyone know if it's
20 > >>> possible?).
21 > >>>
22 > >>> When I unplug the keyboard from the usb port I can see the kernel
23 > >>> recognize the unplug event, which makes me think that it's not a
24 > >>> kernel/usb bug or a broken wire in the keyboard cable.
25 > >>>
26 > >>> When I re-plug the keyboard into a usb port the keyboard
27 > >>> immediately starts working normally again until the next time I
28 > >>> happen to trigger the problem by running some black-magical
29 > >>> command from a command prompt. There is no particular command
30 > >>> that causes it--it can be any arbitrary command AFAICT.
31 > >>>
32 > >>> Just one weird example: I can be typing a URL in a web browser
33 > >>> window when a bash command finishes running in a terminal window
34 > >>> and the keyboard stops working in the middle of my typing :(
35 > >>>
36 > >>> Any debugging suggestions would be most welcome.
37 > >>
38 > >>
39 > >> First step (more to half the problem space than anything else):
40 > >>
41 > >> Does the same happen if you use another keyboard?
42 > >
43 > > I agree with your assessment -- and I will buy another usb keyboard
44 > > tomorrow because I'm using the only one I have and this machine has
45 > > no ps/2 ports. Never thought I'd miss the ps/2 ports til now :)
46 >
47 > I kind of assumed you'd have lots of spare keyboards lying around and
48 > had already done the test :-)
49
50 I do have spares, all ps/2 :-(
51
52 > I recall something similar happening to me,
53 > perhaps a year ago or longer. I tried to debug it and gave up, then
54 > one day it was no longer happening. I assumed it was a fixed kernel
55 > bug then promptly forgot all about it.
56 >
57 > While you are waiting on a new keyboard, do you have the same bug on
58 > different kernels?
59
60 Affirmative, and thereby hangs yet another woeful tale. I've been
61 running the gentoo-sources-3.14.xx series forever because I wearied of
62 spending so many hours debugging unstable kernels.
63
64 This morning I decided to take a giant leap forward all the way to
65 3.18.19 (BTW 3.18.20 is already on kernel.org) because, surely, I
66 wouldn't need to debug a kernel as old as that, right?
67
68 Wrong. Linus and friends have been marking lots of existing kernel
69 symbols with the SYMBOL_EXPORT_GNU macro, which was designed to block
70 the loading of any kernel module not explicitly licensed as GNU
71 software. (see output of modinfo)
72
73 x11-drivers/ati-drivers installs a proprietary binary blob (as does
74 nvidia-drivers) so the linker refused even to link the kernel module
75 into a .ko file, nevermind the kernel actually loading the module at
76 runtime.
77
78 The remedy for ati-drivers is well-hidden in a comment in a gentoo bug
79 report that I found at oh-dark-hundred hours this morning. Only two
80 hours later I got the module installed and loaded :)
81
82 But yes, kernel 3.18.19 still has my same keyboard halting problem, so
83 I'm back to 3.14.50 until the ati-drivers package is patched. I'm sure
84 gentoo-sources-3.18.20 will be available almost immediately and I'm not
85 going through that hell again.