From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Graphical usenet client - alternative to Knode
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 18:06:05
1 On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 18:25:45 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2
3 > > Which takes about ten seconds usually.
4 >
5 > 10 is more than 0 :D
6
7 Not for large values of 0 :)
8
9 > >> , need to unsubscribe when you don't want to receive email
10 > >> anymore,
11 > >
12 > > Which takes about half that time, and both of these are infrequent
13 > > occurrences. For lists that I had only a transient interest in, I
14 > > would look at usenet versions.
15 >
16 > And when later you want to subscribe again...
17
18 I'm not that indecisive... at least, I don't think I am ;-)
19
20 > >> need hard disk space to store all the downloaded messages,
21 > >> don't have access to messages from the time you weren't subscribed
22 > >> yet,
23 > >
24 > > No, but I do have access to Google :)
25 >
26 > Yes, but this requires to go to Google. I have the messages right
27 > there in front of me.
28
29 What, all of them? You still need to search for old messages and if they
30 predate your subscribing you are only searching for specific information,
31 not particular threads. Or are you referring to backtracking a thread you
32 joined midway through? For that, online archives are useful.
33
34 > No, that wasn't my intention. All I'm saying in the end is that people
35 > stick to the ways they are used to do their tasks. There might be
36 > better options out there, but it requires getting used to those new
37 > options so they usually don't bother. I just though I'd mention the
38 > stuff here so people actually know the option exists and has saved me
39 > from quite some annoyances I had to deal with in the past.
40
41 Fair enough.
42
43 > > How do you read messages without an Internet connection?
44 > >
45 > > Everything has pros and cons.
46 >
47 > You got me with that one :) Just because I don't have this problem
48 > doesn't mean no else does either.
49
50 You are permanently wired to the Internet? Don't you ever go out? :P
54 Neil Bothwick
55
56 Windows to CPU: Don't rush me, don't rush me...