From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Graphical usenet client - alternative to Knode
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:11:06
1 On 02/23/2010 05:15 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:59:33 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >
4 >> You and I do the same thing in the end. The difference is that you
5 >> waste bandwidth, need to set up filters every time you subscribe to a
6 >> new list
7 >
8 > Which takes about ten seconds usually.
9
10 10 is more than 0 :D
13 >> , need to unsubscribe when you don't want to receive email
14 >> anymore,
15 >
16 > Which takes about half that time, and both of these are infrequent
17 > occurrences. For lists that I had only a transient interest in, I would
18 > look at usenet versions.
19
20 And when later you want to subscribe again...
23 >> need hard disk space to store all the downloaded messages,
24 >> don't have access to messages from the time you weren't subscribed yet,
25 >
26 > No, but I do have access to Google :)
27
28 Yes, but this requires to go to Google. I have the messages right there
29 in front of me.
32 >> So in the end, we end up doing the same thing, by I do it in a saner
33 >> way that was designed to do exactly that. :)
34 >
35 > No, you do it in a different way that suits your needs. That doesn't make
36 > you right and people with other needs wrong. It just illustrates the
37 > benefits of choice. I did not insult your choice, why assume that you
38 > know better than me what I need?
39
40 No, that wasn't my intention. All I'm saying in the end is that people
41 stick to the ways they are used to do their tasks. There might be
42 better options out there, but it requires getting used to those new
43 options so they usually don't bother. I just though I'd mention the
44 stuff here so people actually know the option exists and has saved me
45 from quite some annoyances I had to deal with in the past.
48 >> It appears it only has
49 >> pros and no cons, so I don't see a reason to use email instead.
50 >
51 > How do you read messages without an Internet connection?
52 >
53 > Everything has pros and cons.
54
55 You got me with that one :) Just because I don't have this problem
56 doesn't mean no else does either.