From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM : pros & cons
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 19:40:44
1 On Sunday 07 October 2007, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > Does anyone have advice based on experience using LVM ?
3
4 The majority of folks around here will have used LVM :-)
5
6 > I sb partitioning a new 320 GB hard drive soon for a simple desktop
7 > box. That is 8 times the size of the HDD in my present machine,
8 > which I haven't exhausted by any means. LVM seems more professional
9 > & allows flexibility for unforeseen storage needs,
10
11 this is it's main benefit on desktop class machines - the ability to
12 resize volumes when you realize that you guessed wrong. There are
13 others too :-)
14
15 > but it adds a layer of complexity & potential problems arising
16 > therefrom.
17
18 A total non-issue in my experience. I've never had an LVM problem yet,
19 but maybe I'm just lucky. The one thing you do need to be aware of it
20 that you require LVM support at boot time or shortly thereafter. So
21 either compile it into the kernel, or make sure it's in the initrd.
22
23 For a gentoo system using roll-your-own kernels, the consensus seems to
24 be a regular / volume of 500M-1G is plenty and everything else is on
25 LVM. That way you avoid the issues of not having the required support
26 to be able to mount /. We don't build distro kernels that must boot on
27 everything out there, we have the luxury of customizing everything
28
29 > I wonder whether LVM slows down disk access
30
31 No. See my other mail.
32
33 > & whether there's a disaster lurking unseen if anything goes wrong
34 > with LVM: a bad package update, a damaged config file or file storing
35 > LVM's layout would seem to risk losing everything on the HDD &
36 > require re-installation.
37
38 Not true. You *already* have many layers of software between user space
39 and disk, any one of which can go wrong at any time. LVM metadata is
40 stored in text files and it maintains many historical copies of
41 previous configs and it's easy to fix if it ever goes wrong. I've never
42 seen a *real* LVM error, but I have matched myself do some really dumb
43 things and I could fix them every time.
44
45 Seriously, the problem LVM solves has been known about for decades and
46 the method used was worked out about the same time. It's a mature
47 technology that is *very* well understood, completely the opposite of
48 drivers to support some latest new-fangled chipset. I would be much
49 more worried about that code trashing your disk than LVM. Just to put
50 it all into perspective...
51
52 Extra benefits of LVM: You won't need this right now for your simple
53 desktop with one drive, but it's good to know what else LVM can do:
54
55 Snapshots. You can "freeze" the state of a filesystem at any time and
56 LVM will track the changes since then until you release the snapshot.
57 This is a lifesaver if your job is to perform backups of 4TB databases
58 that can never be taken down for backups.
59
60 Huge volumes: LVM is the only way on Linux to be able to get local
61 volumes bigger than any single disk. Again, on servers, 2TB+ databases
62 are becoming commonplace.
63
64 If you need any more convincing, IBM mainframes and HP machines running
65 HP-UX have required you to use LVM for years now - you can't get to the
66 disks without using LVM. If it was risky, do you think those hardware
67 vendors would have gone down that route?
68
69 alan
75 Optimists say the glass is half full,
76 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
77 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
78
79 Alan McKinnon
80 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
81 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
82 --
83 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list