From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] LVM : pros & cons
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 11:16:22
1 Does anyone have advice based on experience using LVM ?
2 I sb partitioning a new 320 GB hard drive soon for a simple desktop box.
3 That is 8 times the size of the HDD in my present machine,
4 which I haven't exhausted by any means. LVM seems more professional
5 & allows flexibility for unforeseen storage needs,
6 but it adds a layer of complexity & potential problems arising therefrom.
7 I wonder whether LVM slows down disk access
8 & whether there's a disaster lurking unseen if anything goes wrong with LVM:
9 a bad package update, a damaged config file or file storing LVM's layout
10 would seem to risk losing everything on the HDD & require re-installation.
14 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
15 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
16 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
17 --
18 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list