From: Dan Johansson <Dan.Johansson@×××.nu>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM : pros & cons
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 11:52:32
1 On Sunday 07 October 2007, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > Does anyone have advice based on experience using LVM ?
3 > I sb partitioning a new 320 GB hard drive soon for a simple desktop box.
4 > That is 8 times the size of the HDD in my present machine,
5 > which I haven't exhausted by any means. LVM seems more professional
6 > & allows flexibility for unforeseen storage needs,
7 > but it adds a layer of complexity & potential problems arising therefrom.
8 > I wonder whether LVM slows down disk access
9 > & whether there's a disaster lurking unseen if anything goes wrong with
10 > LVM: a bad package update, a damaged config file or file storing LVM's
11 > layout would seem to risk losing everything on the HDD & require
12 > re-installation.
13
14 I'm using LVM for all my (linux-)computers (Servers, Desktops and Notebooks).
15 The only filesystems not on LVM are / and /boot (I know that I can put / on a
16 LVOL as well but I don't like to use initrd if I can avoid it). This is for
17 example how my desktop looks like:
18
19 /dev/hde1 /boot 30MB
20 /dev/hde2 swap 4GB
21 /dev/hde3 / 500MB
22 /dev/hde4 LVM-vg00
23 /dev/vg00/lvol01 /usr 4GB
24 /dev/vg00/lvol02 /var 10GB
25 /dev/vg00/lvol03 /opt 2GB
26 /dev/vg00/lvol04 /home/dan 4GB
27 /dev/vg00/lvol05 /home/ulle 4GB
28 /dev/vg00/lvol06 /tmp 1GB
29 /dev/vg00/lvol07 /var/vmware/WinXP 28GB
30 /dev/vg00/lvol08 /usr/portage 3GB
31
32 The main reason for me for using LVM is that I can easily extend a filesystem
33 on the fly or add a new one if necessary.
34 --
35 Dan Johansson, <http://www.dmj.nu>
37 This message is printed on 100% recycled electrons!