From: Gabriel Rossetti <mailing_lists@××××××.ch>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM : pros & cons
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 21:22:31
1 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > Does anyone have advice based on experience using LVM ?
3 > I sb partitioning a new 320 GB hard drive soon for a simple desktop box.
4 > That is 8 times the size of the HDD in my present machine,
5 > which I haven't exhausted by any means. LVM seems more professional
6 > & allows flexibility for unforeseen storage needs,
7 > but it adds a layer of complexity & potential problems arising therefrom.
8 > I wonder whether LVM slows down disk access
9 > & whether there's a disaster lurking unseen if anything goes wrong with LVM:
10 > a bad package update, a damaged config file or file storing LVM's layout
11 > would seem to risk losing everything on the HDD & require re-installation.
14 Hello,
15
16 I chose to use it on my laptop because of it's flexibility. On a desktop
17 system, it you ever need more room, you can just a a new HD. If you use
18 LVM on it, you can expand whatever you need to, if you don't, you can
19 move data around and free up some space where needed. On a laptop,
20 unless you attach an external drive (and in reality, those are annoying
21 to carry around all the time), it's hard to free up some space, but with
22 LVM, such a task is possible. I found it not hard to configure and it's
23 benefits largely outsize the cons one could find. I would recommend it
24 on single and multi-HD systems.
25
26 Cheers,
27 Gabriel Rossetti