From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Movie editing softeware
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 10:38:03
1 On Tuesday, 21 December 2021 22:32:14 GMT Laurence Perkins wrote:
2 > >>
3 > >>From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
4
5 > >>Oh - and as for using the command line, it's all very well until you try
6 > >>and figure out where to tell the command line to cut the video file - I
7 > >>really don't want to have to run the command line hundreds of times,
8 > >>checking the output every time, and throwing away the ones that cut in
9 > >>the wrong place. Oh, and if I use some video editing software to find the
10 > >>exact millisecond I want to cut, it STILL cuts it in completely the wrong
11 > >>place ...
12
13 > >>Cheers,
14 > >>Wol
15 > >>
16 > >>
19 > Note that some editing software can only cut at the iframes, and it's also
20 > fairly common to only be able to cut at the iframes unless it's re-encoding
21 > the data. That can be a major source of frustration.
22
23 > LMP
24
25 Yes, I've noticed this with kdenlive and from what I recall from years ago,
26 avidemux too. I can't recall if there was some GUI option to change this - I
27 never found it.
28
29 I use mpv to identify the exact timestamp where I want to make a cut and then
30 tell ffmpeg to do so. Whether I transcode any/all streams, or remux to a
31 different container at the same time, ffmpeg just works, but the process takes
32 more than point 'n click. I'll give openshot a ... shot one day to see if it
33 is more user friendly.