From: Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Movie editing softeware
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 22:32:30
3 >>-----Original Message-----
4 >>From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
5 >>Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2021 2:03 PM
6 >>To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
7 >>Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Movie editing softeware
8 >>
9 >>On 21/12/2021 19:16, Dale wrote:
10 >>> Spackman, Chris wrote:
11 >>>> On 2021/12/21 at 05:13pm, Wols Lists wrote:
12 >>>>> On 21/12/2021 16:07, Spackman, Chris wrote:
13 >>>>>> On 2021/12/20 at 11:17am, William Kenworthy wrote:
14 >>>>>>> Hi, what is a usable piece of software in portage to do a quick
15 >>>>>>> edit of a movie? (cut start/end and maybe splice a bit in/out of
16 >>>>>>> the middle?)
17 >>>>>> I've not seen anyone mention OpenShot. It is in portage, but masked
18 >>>>>> for some reason.
19 >>>>>> As someone else mentioned, you do have to create a project and then
20 >>>>>> export. Really, though, the "create project, make export choices"
21 >>>>>> is only like an extra minute or two of your time. I usually don't
22 >>>>>> even save the project for just some simple trimming.
23 >>>>
24 >>>>> It may be a minute or two of YOUR time.
25 >>>>>
26 >>>>> For someone who doesn't "DO" video editing, it can easily turn into
27 >>>>> hours of debugging trying to work out what does (or doesn't) work.
28 >>>>>
29 >>>>> Sorry, but you can't assume we're all video whizzes like you ... :-)
30 >>>>> That's why we want something dummy-proof!
31 >>>> Wow, sorry, didn't realize this was such a sore issue. Especially
32 >>>> considering we've already discussed several command line programs in
33 >>>> this thread.
34 >>>>
35 >>>> To export:
36 >>>>
37 >>>> 1. press the red circular "export video" button (or go to File =>
38 >>>> Export Project => Export Video);
39 >>>>
40 >>>> 2a. [optional] change the name of the video in the export window that
41 >>>> pops up;
42 >>>>
43 >>>> 2b. press the "export video" button at the bottom of the window. Here,
44 >>>> for me, the defaults work fine.
45 >>>>
46 >>>> I did it three times in less than a minute, double checking the
47 >>>> accuracy for this post. So, not a huge inconvenience.
48 >>>>
49 >>>> Of course, if the defaults do NOT work for you, then you do not want
50 >>>> something "dead easy", you want something that will read your mind
51 >>>> and do what you want, somehow, automagically.
52 >>>>
53 >>>
54 >>>
55 >>> As someone who has experimented with video editing software, I can
56 >>> understand Wols on this. What some of us needs is something similar
57 >>> to 'video editing for dummys' except we need the software not the
58 >>> book. At one time, I wanted to remove like 20 or 30 seconds on the
59 >>> beginning and about the same on the end of a few videos. Hours later,
60 >>> still couldn't figure it out. Heaven forbid I wanted to remove
61 >>> something in the middle as well or add a second or so of black screen.
62 >>> O_O
63 >>>
64 >>> This coming from someone who was able to figure out Kicad and get
65 >>> circuit boards made. Just saying. LOL
66 >>>
67 >>Yup. This coming from someone who is quite happy with the command line because when he started THAT'S ALL THERE WAS. My work experience pre-dates the IBM PC - you know the one - the one with an 8088 inside...
68 >>
69 >>Oh - and as for using the command line, it's all very well until you try and figure out where to tell the command line to cut the video file - I really don't want to have to run the command line hundreds of times, checking the output every time, and throwing away the ones that cut in the wrong place. Oh, and if I use some video editing software to find the exact millisecond I want to cut, it STILL cuts it in completely the wrong place ...
70 >>
71 >>Cheers,
72 >>Wol
76 Note that some editing software can only cut at the iframes, and it's also fairly common to only be able to cut at the iframes unless it's re-encoding the data. That can be a major source of frustration.
77
78 LMP