From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 22:33:00
1 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 01/01/2012 05:06 PM, Michael Mol wrote:
3 >> On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Michael
4 >> Orlitzky<michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> Using "emerge --update foo" adds "foo" to your world file. This is
6 >>> responsible for pretty much every package that incorrectly found its
7 >>> way
8 >>> into one of my world files.
9 >>>
10 >>> Is there any reason to desire the current behavior? I'd like to
11 >>> suggest that
12 >>> it be fixed, but want to be sure I'm not just being short-sighted.
13 >>
14 >> Pretty sure that's what -1 is for. I'm just getting the hang of it
15 >> myself.
19 > Well, I know what I'm *supposed* to do. My complaint is basically that
20 > I sometimes forget to add -1 with -u, and that bad things happen as a
21 > result.
22 >
23 > But why should I have to add -1 along with it? Is there any reason you
24 > would ever want -u to add a package to your world file? If not, we can
25 > avoid headaches in the future by making it do the sane (not harmful)
26 > thing.
30 Using -u used to work the way you describe but that was a while ago.
31 The only thing I know of is to add --oneshot to make.conf so you don't
32 forget. I think they knew this was going to be a issue. This is in man
33 emerge:
34
35 --select [ y | n ]
36 Add specified packages to the world set (inverse of --oneshot). This is
37 useful if you want to use EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS to make --oneshot
38 behavior default.
39
40 The way I read that is that they expect you to add --oneshot to
41 make.conf. Like you, this makes no sense to me. I would rather they
42 leave it the way it was and then not needed the --select option at all. :/
43
44 Then again, they add confusion so we can fix it in make.conf. lol
45
46 Dale
47
51 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
52
53 Miss the compile output? Hint:
54 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"