From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 22:18:52
1 On 01/01/2012 05:06 PM, Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Michael Orlitzky<michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Using "emerge --update foo" adds "foo" to your world file. This is
4 >> responsible for pretty much every package that incorrectly found its way
5 >> into one of my world files.
6 >>
7 >> Is there any reason to desire the current behavior? I'd like to suggest that
8 >> it be fixed, but want to be sure I'm not just being short-sighted.
9 >
10 > Pretty sure that's what -1 is for. I'm just getting the hang of it myself.
14 Well, I know what I'm *supposed* to do. My complaint is basically that I
15 sometimes forget to add -1 with -u, and that bad things happen as a result.
16
17 But why should I have to add -1 along with it? Is there any reason you
18 would ever want -u to add a package to your world file? If not, we can
19 avoid headaches in the future by making it do the sane (not harmful) thing.