From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 15:32:29
1 On 2012-01-01 5:13 PM, Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 01/01/2012 05:06 PM, Michael Mol wrote:
3 >> On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Michael Orlitzky<michael@××××××××.com>
4 >> wrote:
5 >>> Using "emerge --update foo" adds "foo" to your world file. This is
6 >>> responsible for pretty much every package that incorrectly found its way
7 >>> into one of my world files.
8 >>>
9 >>> Is there any reason to desire the current behavior? I'd like to
10 >>> suggest that
11 >>> it be fixed, but want to be sure I'm not just being short-sighted.
12
13 >> Pretty sure that's what -1 is for. I'm just getting the hang of it
14 >> myself.
15
16 > Well, I know what I'm *supposed* to do. My complaint is basically that I
17 > sometimes forget to add -1 with -u, and that bad things happen as a result.
18 >
19 > But why should I have to add -1 along with it? Is there any reason you
20 > would ever want -u to add a package to your world file? If not, we can
21 > avoid headaches in the future by making it do the sane (not harmful) thing.
22
23 Uh-oh...
24
25 I've *never* used -1 unless I'm trying to fix a broken package by
26 recompiling it... I've always just used
27
28 emerge -vuDN world...
29
30 Been doing it this way for 7+ years, and never had a problem, so my
31 question is:
32
33 What 'harmful' thing has been happening on/to my system all these years?