From: Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why gentoo doesn't have long description?
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:47:07
1 Hey buddy go troll on somebody else's thread.
2
3 -Mike
4
5 On 8/24/05, David Morgan <david.morgan@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >
7 > On 8/24/05, Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com> wrote:
8 > > First of all, sorry about top posting that's the way Gmail does it and
9 > you
10 > > cant change the settings.
13 > S**t, look at this. I'm using gmail and not top posting.
14 >
15 > Just how stupid are you that you can't move the cursor to the bottom
16 > of the message?
17 >
18 > > Also if you are looking for a lazy man's way of getting a package
19 > description try `emerge > -s packagename` and it prints out a lot of
20 > information as well as a short description of the > package. I have never
21 > seen a long description such as those used to build Debian
22 > > packages anywhere in portage and don't really think it would be useful
23 > anyhow. So try
24 > > emerge -s and if you need more info go to the packae's website. That
25 > would be my
26 > > advice. Oh, and emerge -s works off the metadata so you dint need an
27 > Internet
28 > > connection.
29 >
30 > How completely pointless. The OP knows about emerge -s and he knows he
31 > can look at the package's website.
32 >
33 > Even worse, you're wrong. emerge -s doesn't look in metadata.xml, it
34 > gets the information from the ebuild.
35 >
36 > Dave
37 >
38 > --
39 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
46 Michael E. Crute
47 Software Developer
48 SoftGroup Development Corporation
49
50 Linux, because reboots are for installing hardware.
51 "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"