From: David Morgan <david.morgan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why gentoo doesn't have long description?
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:30:57
1 On 8/24/05, Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > First of all, sorry about top posting that's the way Gmail does it and you
3 > cant change the settings.
6 S**t, look at this. I'm using gmail and not top posting.
7
8 Just how stupid are you that you can't move the cursor to the bottom
9 of the message?
10
11 > Also if you are looking for a lazy man's way of getting a package description try `emerge > -s packagename` and it prints out a lot of information as well as a short description of the > package. I have never seen a long description such as those used to build Debian
12 > packages anywhere in portage and don't really think it would be useful anyhow. So try
13 > emerge -s and if you need more info go to the packae's website. That would be my
14 > advice. Oh, and emerge -s works off the metadata so you dint need an Internet
15 > connection.
16
17 How completely pointless. The OP knows about emerge -s and he knows he
18 can look at the package's website.
19
20 Even worse, you're wrong. emerge -s doesn't look in metadata.xml, it
21 gets the information from the ebuild.
22
23 Dave
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list