From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting around ancient SATA disk size limitations
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 14:26:53
1 On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 10:12 AM, pk <peterk2@××××××××.se> wrote:
2 > On 2012-06-18 08:16, felix@×××××××.com wrote:
3 >
4 >> I plugged two 4TB SATA drives in and the BIOS hangs trying to display the disk size.
5 >>Whether it is the size itself, or from using 4K blocks, I do not know.
6 >
7 > This is a bit confusing. Do you mean to say that these are 4TB internal
8 > drives (3.5")? I can't find any manufacturer that manufactures this size
9 > (yet)... Or is it 2x 2TB harddrives in a USB3 enclosure? There are
10 > plenty of those it seems from Seagate, Western digital etc...
11
12 http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST4000DX000/dp/B005WX3NEU/
13
14 "Seagate Barracuda 7200 4 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 128MB Cache
15 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive"
16
17 It does bring to mind a question...when I went to put SATAII drives in
18 a SATA box, I needed to flip a jumper on the drive so that it would
19 operate at 1.5Gb/s instead of 3Gb/s. Felix, did you follow any
20 analogous steps for the 4TB drives?
21
22 (Cripes, that's a lot of data. One drive, bigger than any of my
23 aggregate volumes.)
26 :wq