From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] (sort of) strange things after upgrading the kernel
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 01:52:09
1 2012/10/12 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
2
3 > Francisco Ares wrote:
4 > > Hi, All
5 > >
6 > > I have upgraded the kernel to gentoo-sources 3.4.9 and, for instance,
7 > > k3b to 2.0.2, and it says there is no optical devices. But "cdrecord
8 > > --scanbus" shows them all (a IDE dvd reader and a SATA dvd writer).
9 > >
10 > > Most probably I have missed something, because I like to do some
11 > > customizations to the kernel configuration, but all SATA hard disks
12 > > are working, flash drives, and all the rest of the hardware goes ok.
13 > >
14 > > I did not try to burn any DVD, but the players do OK with any of the
15 > > devices, so it is not a permission problem (I still have to correct
16 > > this, to make it persistent, but the k3b problem remains). It might be
17 > > related to some other thing, the desktop widget that used to show all
18 > > the disks' partitions, does not show anything any more, although "df"
19 > > shows everything just as expected.
20 > >
21 > > Funny, isn't it?
22 > >
23 > > Any ideas, please?
24 > >
25 > > Thanks
26 > > Francisco
27 > >
28 > > P.S.: attached follows the ".config" for this kernel
34 > > --
35 > > "If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then
36 > > you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and
37 > > I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have
38 > > two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw
41 > Have you went back to the old kernel to test it again? If it does the
42 > same with the old kernel, it's likely not the kernel. If it works like
43 > it used to then it is the kernel.
44 >
45 > That said, it is weird and I have ran into this sort of thing in the
46 > past. Something works fine then breaks or acts weird with a newer
47 > kernel. Usually I just stick with the old kernel until a couple
48 > releases goes by and then try again. They fix stuff pretty fast.
49 >
50 > Dale
51 >
52 > :-) :-)
53 >
54 > --
55 > I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
56 > how you interpreted my words!
61 Thanks for your reply, Dale.
62
63 Yes, everything works as expected when using the old kernel.
64
65 I decided to re-emerge some base libraries, and nothing worked, until I
66 remembered to re-emerge udev. After the build, it announced two wrong lines
67 in the new kernel "config" file:
68
69 CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=y
70 CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2=y
71
72 After correcting them and building the kernel again, now everything is back
73 to normal.
74
75 Thanks again
76 Francisco
80 "If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you
81 and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have
82 one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas."
83 - George Bernard Shaw