From: Corbin Bird <corbinbird@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] depclean missing packages
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2017 16:08:00
1 On 01/03/2017 02:42 PM, Daniel Frey wrote:
2 > So, for the first time I've seen the following message after an `emerge
3 > -uDN world`:
6 > # emerge -cp
7 >
8 > * Always study the list of packages to be cleaned for any obvious
9 > * mistakes. Packages that are part of the world set will always
10 > * be kept. They can be manually added to this set with
11 > * `emerge --noreplace <atom>`. Packages that are listed in
12 > * package.provided (see portage(5)) will be removed by
13 > * depclean, even if they are part of the world set.
14 > *
15 > * As a safety measure, depclean will not remove any packages
16 > * unless *all* required dependencies have been resolved. As a
17 > * consequence of this, it often becomes necessary to run
18 > * `emerge --update --newuse --deep @world` prior to depclean.
19 >
20 > Calculating dependencies... done!
21 > * Dependencies could not be completely resolved due to
22 > * the following required packages not being installed:
23 > *
24 > * ~dev-qt/qtdeclarative-5.6.1 pulled in by:
25 > * dev-qt/linguist-tools-5.6.1
26 > *
27 > * ~dev-qt/qtxml-5.6.1 pulled in by:
28 > * dev-qt/linguist-tools-5.6.1
29 > *
30 > * ~dev-qt/qtcore-5.6.1 pulled in by:
31 > * dev-qt/linguist-tools-5.6.1
32 > *
33 > * Have you forgotten to do a complete update prior to depclean? The
34 > * most comprehensive command for this purpose is as follows:
35 > *
36 > * emerge --update --newuse --deep --with-bdeps=y @world
37 > *
38 > * Note that the --with-bdeps=y option is not required in many
39 > * situations. Refer to the emerge manual page (run `man emerge`)
40 > * for more information about --with-bdeps.
41 > *
42 > * Also, note that it may be necessary to manually uninstall
43 > * packages that no longer exist in the portage tree, since it may
44 > * not be possible to satisfy their dependencies.
45 >
46 > What I don't understand is why these packages were not installed in the
47 > first place. Should this be reported as a bug? I've ran an update with
48 > --with-bdeps as suggested and it's telling me 20 packages are missing
49 > from my system! (And is currently installing them.)
50 >
51 > What I don't understand is I've been updating and depcleaning for more
52 > than a decade and haven't seen that message before. Am I just lucky?
53 >
54 > Dan
57 One switch makes all the difference : --deep
58
59 I have not been getting that error message.
60 What I have been using : emerge --update --tree --newuse --deep
61 --with-bdeps=y @world
62
63 Using the --deep switch can / does pull in a lot of seemingly extra
64 packages.
65
66 Hope this helps.