From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] depclean missing packages
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2017 20:43:06
1 So, for the first time I've seen the following message after an `emerge
2 -uDN world`:
5 # emerge -cp
6
7 * Always study the list of packages to be cleaned for any obvious
8 * mistakes. Packages that are part of the world set will always
9 * be kept. They can be manually added to this set with
10 * `emerge --noreplace <atom>`. Packages that are listed in
11 * package.provided (see portage(5)) will be removed by
12 * depclean, even if they are part of the world set.
13 *
14 * As a safety measure, depclean will not remove any packages
15 * unless *all* required dependencies have been resolved. As a
16 * consequence of this, it often becomes necessary to run
17 * `emerge --update --newuse --deep @world` prior to depclean.
18
19 Calculating dependencies... done!
20 * Dependencies could not be completely resolved due to
21 * the following required packages not being installed:
22 *
23 * ~dev-qt/qtdeclarative-5.6.1 pulled in by:
24 * dev-qt/linguist-tools-5.6.1
25 *
26 * ~dev-qt/qtxml-5.6.1 pulled in by:
27 * dev-qt/linguist-tools-5.6.1
28 *
29 * ~dev-qt/qtcore-5.6.1 pulled in by:
30 * dev-qt/linguist-tools-5.6.1
31 *
32 * Have you forgotten to do a complete update prior to depclean? The
33 * most comprehensive command for this purpose is as follows:
34 *
35 * emerge --update --newuse --deep --with-bdeps=y @world
36 *
37 * Note that the --with-bdeps=y option is not required in many
38 * situations. Refer to the emerge manual page (run `man emerge`)
39 * for more information about --with-bdeps.
40 *
41 * Also, note that it may be necessary to manually uninstall
42 * packages that no longer exist in the portage tree, since it may
43 * not be possible to satisfy their dependencies.
44
45 What I don't understand is why these packages were not installed in the
46 first place. Should this be reported as a bug? I've ran an update with
47 --with-bdeps as suggested and it's telling me 20 packages are missing
48 from my system! (And is currently installing them.)
49
50 What I don't understand is I've been updating and depcleaning for more
51 than a decade and haven't seen that message before. Am I just lucky?
52
53 Dan