From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] minimal installation CD iso is where?, &&
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 09:14:01
1 Neil Bothwick composed on 2015-08-06 08:33 (UTC+0100):
2
3 > I can think of no good reason to start with GRUB 0.97it.
4
5 I have hundreds of installations. Grub is simple and works. I'm not into
6 breaking what works.
7
8 >> Goal #2 is to get through that first pass
9 >> without any of systemd being installed.
10
11 > Then just follow the handbook. It appears you have read neither the
12 > handbook nor the recent posts to your threads fully or you would know
13 > that systemd is not the default and requires some extra steps to install.
14
15 I don't remember the handbook saying I was supposed to memorize the whole
16 thing before going back to the beginning and actually trying to install. If
17 it did I would have been done before trying to start. I don't have an eidetic
18 memory. I forget, a lot.
19 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Installation/About and the
20 following several pages made the process look like it shouldn't be very
21 difficult. If they were the only pages I knew or read, maybe it would have
22 been easy, but that's not what happened.
23
24 >> Choosing options rather
25 >> accepting defaults is not "pretty easy", at least for me who installed
26 >> Gentoo only once previously, more than 4 years ago.
27
28 > Gentoo is not supposed to be easy, but if you'd just followed the
29 > handbook you would have got what you wanted.
30
31 Choosing non-defaults breaks the flow, especially when a branch explanation
32 ends before an answer emerges. It probably would have been easy if only the
33 first 3 or 4 Distrowatch columns existed and it had an empty systemd row. I
34 haven't been able to reconcile apparent choices the older columns imply with
35 Gentoo's instructions and mirror content. You understand how Gentoo "version"
36 selection works. 4 days later and I'm apparently still a long way off from
37 getting it, or whether it even offers any such thing.
38
39 The swarm of good help I got here early on induced me to keep trying when I
40 was really too exhausted to focus. I need to table it until some time when
41 I'm mentally stronger, and less distracted. Dogged persistence isn't a
42 positive attribute in every context. Sleep gets short changed, and failure
43 snowballs.
44
45 Neil Bothwick composed on 2015-08-06 09:10 (UTC+0100):
46