From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] minimal installation CD iso is where?, &&
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 10:25:53
1 On Thu, 06 Aug 2015 05:13:42 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
2
3 > Neil Bothwick composed on 2015-08-06 08:33 (UTC+0100):
4 >
5 > > I can think of no good reason to start with GRUB 0.97.
6 >
7 > I have hundreds of installations. Grub is simple and works. I'm not into
8 > breaking what works.
9
10 So you already have a bootloader? Then you can skip the whole bootloader
11 section of the handbook and just add Gentoo to your existing menu. The
12 handbook assumes that you need to install a bootloader, maybe it could be
13 clearer about skipping that step if you already have one.
14
15 > >> Goal #2 is to get through that first pass
16 > >> without any of systemd being installed.
17 >
18 > > Then just follow the handbook. It appears you have read neither the
19 > > handbook nor the recent posts to your threads fully or you would know
20 > > that systemd is not the default and requires some extra steps to
21 > > install.
22 >
23 > I don't remember the handbook saying I was supposed to memorize the
24 > whole thing before going back to the beginning and actually trying to
25 > install. If it did I would have been done before trying to start. I
26 > don't have an eidetic memory. I forget, a lot.
27
28 No one said you should read it all through first, although that is a good
29 idea with any complex set of instructions. The handbook is supposed to be
30 followed as you work through it. If you had read it first, you would know
31 that systemd is not even covered as an alternative, apart from the
32 pointer to another part of the wiki.
33
34 > >> Choosing options rather
35 > >> accepting defaults is not "pretty easy", at least for me who
36 > >> installed Gentoo only once previously, more than 4 years ago.
37 >
38 > > Gentoo is not supposed to be easy, but if you'd just followed the
39 > > handbook you would have got what you wanted.
40 >
41 > Choosing non-defaults breaks the flow, especially when a branch
42 > explanation ends before an answer emerges. It probably would have been
43 > easy if only the first 3 or 4 Distrowatch columns existed and it had an
44 > empty systemd row. I haven't been able to reconcile apparent choices
45 > the older columns imply with Gentoo's instructions and mirror content.
46 > You understand how Gentoo "version" selection works. 4 days later and
47 > I'm apparently still a long way off from getting it, or whether it even
48 > offers any such thing.
49
50 It doesn't. there are profiles that set parameters at a fixed point in
51 time, but there is no Gentoo version, it is a rolling release distro. In
52 fact, the whole concept of a version goes against how Gentoo works.
53 Ubuntu has a version, 15.04, that comes with a specific set of packages
54 chosen for you by the maintainers. With Gentoo you are the distro
55 maintainer - the version you have includes whatever packages you choose,
56 my versions are different.
57
58 > > Which clearly says ccache not found. That implies you have added
59 > > ccache to FEATURES but not installed the ccache package. I know, I
60 > > did the same thing last week.
61 >
62 > An "addition" was done somewhere around a decade ago, the last time I
63 > compiled anything from source. Before chrooting, I copied .bashrc from
64 > my template stash into the target /root. It has 'export "CC=ccache
65 > gcc"' in it. I commented it out, rebooted, rechrooted and tried again.
66 > bc still failed so I tried emerging ccache. That too failed.
67 >
68 > Lightbulb. Comment ccache out of chroot host too, restart. emerge ccache
69 > succeeded. emerge --ask
70 > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources did too.
71
72 I did more or less the same last week. Copied much of /etc/portage from
73 old box to new one, tried to emerge something but ccache wasn't there.
74
75 > I still need to better balance persistence with sleep. Bed now. TBC.
76
77 Yes, there's always that one more thing to try before you pack in for the
78 night.. until your head hits the keyboard.
82 Neil Bothwick
83
84 Idaho - It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from there.