From: Wolf Canis <wolf.canis@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strange grub problem
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 13:16:39
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 20 July 2008, Wolf Canis wrote:
3 >> Oh sorry,
4 >>
5 >> _very_ _important_ :
6 >>
7 >> Mount your boot partition _before_ you emerge grub.
8 >
9 > I believe that the grub ebuild mounts it for you, messes up your grub.conf and
10 > carries on with its business . . .
11
12 So far I that now, is that now changed. You have to mount it before
13 you emerge grub. The following is from the ebuild grub-0.97-r6.ebuild:
14
15 -- Quote begin ---------
16 pkg_postinst() {
17 if [[ -n ${DONT_MOUNT_BOOT} ]]; then
18 elog "WARNING: you have DONT_MOUNT_BOOT in effect, so you must
19 apply"
20 elog "the following instructions for your /boot!"
21 elog "Neglecting to do so may cause your system to fail to boot!"
22 elog
23 else
24 setup_boot_dir "${ROOT}"/boot
25 # Trailing output because if this is run from pkg_postinst, it
26 gets mixed into
27 # the other output.
28 einfo ""
29 fi
30 elog "To interactively install grub files to another device such as
31 a USB"
32 elog "stick, just run the following and specify the directory as
33 prompted:"
34 elog " emerge --config =${PF}"
35 elog "Alternately, you can export GRUB_ALT_INSTALLDIR=/path/to/use
36 to tell"
37 elog "grub where to install in a non-interactive way."
38
39 }
40
41 -- Quote end ------