From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emerging SVN build when server is down
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 15:06:54
1 On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 09:48:22 -0500, Albert Hopkins wrote:
2
3 > None of the madwifi-ng ebuilds in my portage tree have an svn source.
4 > I'd be surprised if they did because the Gentoo devs generally
5 > discourage subversion/cvs/etc. ebuilds.
6
7 It's in an overlay, the portage ebuilds don't support my card. although
8 there are ebuilds in portage that use svn/cvs, like MythTV.
9
10 > Also lots of times a SRC_URI server is down or a mirror is out of sync
11 > and we don't call them bugs; we call them crappy servers.
12
13 Well, that is the root cause of the problem, or they didn't pay their
14 hosting bill! But it is better to work around such situations than blame
15 others.
16
17 The point is that I already have the sources in $DISTDIR, but portage
18 won't use them until it can verify that they are up to date. Since they
19 work and the server doesn't, I'd say that was a reasonable assumption.
20
21 > Now I'm not a Gentoo dev (anymore) but I wouldn't be surprised that if
22 > you submitted a bug you'd get a WONTFIX or a "patches welcomed"
23 > response.
24
25 I was hoping someone already knew a workaround, otherwise it makes it
26 impossible to build from source you have already downloaded and verified,
27 which sounds like a bug to me!
31 Neil Bothwick
32
33 This tagline is baroque; please call Bach.