From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can't unload modules
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 04:22:34
1 On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 15:18:11 +1200
2 Nick Rout wrote:
5 > On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 18:56:14 -0700 (PDT)
6 > maxim wexler wrote:
10 > > --- Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com> wrote:
11 > >
12 > > > It would appear that it is not. Double check with my
13 > > > cat grep command and
14 > > > perhaps recompile your kernel.
15 > > >
16 > > bash-2.05b$ cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep
17 > > CONFIG_MODULE_UNLOAD
18 > > CONFIG_MODULE_UNLOAD=y
19 > > bash-2.05b$
20 > >
21 > > I knew it was there having just added it to the
22 > > .config yesterday after reading the ATI FAQ. Saved it,
23 > > then ran make modules_install. Did I forget something?
24 >
25 > yes you forgot to make the kernel and forgot to install the kernel and
26 > reboot.
27 >
28 > the functionality for unloading modules does not itself reside in a
29 > module!
30
31 ps to see the .config for the running kernel you can:
32
33 zless /proc/config.gz
34
35 (although that too has to be compiled into the kernel - I recommend you
36 do it as standard, although it adds a little bit of size to the kernel.
37 It is very convenient if you accidentally blitz your .config file, which
38 you will do if you use "make mrproper" without backing up)
46 > > __________________________________________________
47 > > Do You Yahoo!?
48 > > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
49 > > http://mail.yahoo.com
50 > > --
51 > > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
52 >