From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Trouble Getting Wireless Networking Configured
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 08:14:28
1 On Wednesday 27 June 2007, Randy Barlow wrote:
2 > Drew Tomlinson wrote:
3 > > I ran tcpdump on eth1 and no packets are leaving the interface.
4 > > Thus I assume that's why I'm not getting an address.
5 >
6 > I don't know how to solve your problem, but I don't think DHCP is at
7 > the TCP layer of your network, and so you shouldn't see packets for
8 > DHCP there. DHCP is a special protocol if I recall...
9
10 That's correct, dhcp is an ethernet protocol, and tcp/ip are one layer
11 above it.
12
13 Drew should be able to see the packets with the 'proto ether'
14 expression.
15 man tcpdump for more info
16
17 alan
20 Optimists say the glass is half full,
21 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
22 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
23
24 Alan McKinnon
25 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
26 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list