From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Are those "green" drives any good?
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 21:41:34
1 napalm@××××××××××.org wrote:
2 > On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 07:38:34AM -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >>
4 >> The default is to keep them all running and to not spin them down. I
5 >> have never had a Linux OS to spin down a drive unless I set/told it to.
6 >> You can do this tho. The command and option is:
7 >>
8 >> hdparm -S /dev/sdX
9 >>
10 >> X would be the drive number. There is also the -s option but it is not
11 >> recommended.
12 >>
13 >> There is also the -y and -Y options. Before using ANY of these, read
14 >> the man page. Each one has it uses and you need to know for sure which
15 >> one does what you want.
16 >>
17 >> Dale
20 > Awesome thanks very much, if I need to power down one of my drives I
21 > shall use hdparam!
22 >
23 > Does the kernel keep even unmounted drives spinning by default?
24 >
25 > Thank you Dale!
28 From my experience, as I posted I have never had Linux spin down a drive
29 without me telling it to or setting it up to do so. If you want that to
30 be disabled as you have it in windows, the default settings should be
31 fine.
32
33 If you have a drive that is not being used, then you can use one of
34 those commands to shut it down to save power, wear and tear or whatever.
35
36 Dale
37
41 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
42 how you interpreted my words!
43
44 Miss the compile output? Hint:
45 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"