From: napalm@××××××××××.org
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Are those "green" drives any good?
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 13:29:04
1 On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 07:38:34AM -0500, Dale wrote:
2 >
3 > The default is to keep them all running and to not spin them down. I
4 > have never had a Linux OS to spin down a drive unless I set/told it to.
5 > You can do this tho. The command and option is:
6 >
7 > hdparm -S /dev/sdX
8 >
9 > X would be the drive number. There is also the -s option but it is not
10 > recommended.
11 >
12 > There is also the -y and -Y options. Before using ANY of these, read
13 > the man page. Each one has it uses and you need to know for sure which
14 > one does what you want.
15 >
16 > Dale
19 Awesome thanks very much, if I need to power down one of my drives I
20 shall use hdparam!
21
22 Does the kernel keep even unmounted drives spinning by default?
23
24 Thank you Dale!