From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Are those "green" drives any good?
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 12:40:31
1 napalm@××××××××××.org wrote:
2 > On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 06:58:47PM -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >> Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >>> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>> Alan McKinnon wrote:
6 >>> <SNIP>
7 >>>>> My thoughts these days is that nobody really makes a bad drive anymore.
8 >>>>> Like cars[1], they're all good and do what it says on the box. Same
9 >>>>> with bikes[2].
10 >>>>>
11 >>>>> A manufacturer may have some bad luck and a product range is less than
12 >>>>> perfect, but even that is quite rare and most stuff ups can be fixed
13 >>>>> with new firmware. So it's all good.
14 >>>>
15 >>>>
16 >>>> That's my thoughts too. It doesn't matter what brand you go with, they
17 >>>> all have some sort of failure at some point. They are not built to last
18 >>>> forever and there is always the random failure, even when a week old.
19 >>>> It's usually the loss of important data and not having a backup that
20 >>>> makes it sooooo bad. I'm not real picky on brand as long as it is a
21 >>>> company I have heard of.
22 >>>>
23 >>>
24 >>> One thing to keep in mind is statistics. For a single drive by itself
25 >>> it hardly matters anymore what you buy. You cannot predict the
26 >>> failure. However if you buy multiple identical drives at the same time
27 >>> then most likely you will either get all good drives or (possibly) a
28 >>> bunch of drives that suffer from similar defects and all start failing
29 >>> at the same point in their life cycle. For RAID arrays it's
30 >>> measurably best to buy drives that come from different manufacturing
31 >>> lots, better from different factories, and maybe even from different
32 >>> companies. Then, if a drive fails, assuming the failure is really the
33 >>> fault of the drive and not some local issue like power sources or ESD
34 >>> events, etc., it's less likely other drives in the box will fail at
35 >>> the same time.
36 >>>
37 >>> Cheers,
38 >>> Mark
39 >>>
40 >>>
44 >> You make a good point too. I had a headlight to go out on my car once
45 >> long ago. I, not thinking, replaced them both since the new ones were
46 >> brighter. Guess what, when one of the bulbs blew out, the other was out
47 >> VERY soon after. Now, I replace them but NOT at the same time. Keep in
48 >> mind, just like a hard drive, when one headlight is on, so is the other
49 >> one. When we turn our computers on, all the drives spin up together so
50 >> they are basically all getting the same wear and tear effect.
51 >>
52 >> I don't use RAID, except to kill bugs, but that is good advice. People
53 >> who do use RAID would be wise to use it.
54 >>
55 >> Dale
56 >>
57 >> :-) :-)
60 > hum hum!
61 > I know that Windows does this by default (it annoys me so I disable it)
62 > but does linux disable or stop running the disks if they're inactive?
63 > I'm assuming there's an option somewhere - maybe just `unmount`!
67 The default is to keep them all running and to not spin them down. I
68 have never had a Linux OS to spin down a drive unless I set/told it to.
69 You can do this tho. The command and option is:
70
71 hdparm -S /dev/sdX
72
73 X would be the drive number. There is also the -s option but it is not
74 recommended.
75
76 There is also the -y and -Y options. Before using ANY of these, read
77 the man page. Each one has it uses and you need to know for sure which
78 one does what you want.
79
80 Dale
81
85 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
86 how you interpreted my words!
87
88 Miss the compile output? Hint:
89 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"