From: napalm@××××××××××.org
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Are those "green" drives any good?
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 12:00:11
1 On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 06:58:47PM -0500, Dale wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > <SNIP>
6 > >>> My thoughts these days is that nobody really makes a bad drive anymore.
7 > >>> Like cars[1], they're all good and do what it says on the box. Same
8 > >>> with bikes[2].
9 > >>>
10 > >>> A manufacturer may have some bad luck and a product range is less than
11 > >>> perfect, but even that is quite rare and most stuff ups can be fixed
12 > >>> with new firmware. So it's all good.
13 > >>
14 > >>
15 > >> That's my thoughts too. It doesn't matter what brand you go with, they
16 > >> all have some sort of failure at some point. They are not built to last
17 > >> forever and there is always the random failure, even when a week old.
18 > >> It's usually the loss of important data and not having a backup that
19 > >> makes it sooooo bad. I'm not real picky on brand as long as it is a
20 > >> company I have heard of.
21 > >>
22 > >
23 > > One thing to keep in mind is statistics. For a single drive by itself
24 > > it hardly matters anymore what you buy. You cannot predict the
25 > > failure. However if you buy multiple identical drives at the same time
26 > > then most likely you will either get all good drives or (possibly) a
27 > > bunch of drives that suffer from similar defects and all start failing
28 > > at the same point in their life cycle. For RAID arrays it's
29 > > measurably best to buy drives that come from different manufacturing
30 > > lots, better from different factories, and maybe even from different
31 > > companies. Then, if a drive fails, assuming the failure is really the
32 > > fault of the drive and not some local issue like power sources or ESD
33 > > events, etc., it's less likely other drives in the box will fail at
34 > > the same time.
35 > >
36 > > Cheers,
37 > > Mark
43 > You make a good point too. I had a headlight to go out on my car once
44 > long ago. I, not thinking, replaced them both since the new ones were
45 > brighter. Guess what, when one of the bulbs blew out, the other was out
46 > VERY soon after. Now, I replace them but NOT at the same time. Keep in
47 > mind, just like a hard drive, when one headlight is on, so is the other
48 > one. When we turn our computers on, all the drives spin up together so
49 > they are basically all getting the same wear and tear effect.
50 >
51 > I don't use RAID, except to kill bugs, but that is good advice. People
52 > who do use RAID would be wise to use it.
53 >
54 > Dale
55 >
59 hum hum!
60 I know that Windows does this by default (it annoys me so I disable it)
61 but does linux disable or stop running the disks if they're inactive?
62 I'm assuming there's an option somewhere - maybe just `unmount`!