From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Are those "green" drives any good?
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 22:55:32
1 On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 6:55 AM, <napalm@××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > hum hum!
4 > I know that Windows does this by default (it annoys me so I disable it)
5 > but does linux disable or stop running the disks if they're inactive?
6 > I'm assuming there's an option somewhere - maybe just `unmount`!
7
8 Some drives cannot have this spindown "feature" disabled, because it
9 is a fixed value in their firmware in order to be "green"...
10
11 You can adjust the power management setting with hdparm, and on some
12 drives this allows disabling the spindown or disabling power
13 management altogether.
14
15 On my HDDs, I cannot disable APM but I can disable spindown by
16 changing the power-saving level to 254. I have a script in
17 /etc/local.d/ which calls:
18
19 hdparm -B 254 /dev/sd[abcdef]
20
21 at boot time.
22
23 To quote the hdparm manpage:
24
25 "A low value means aggressive power management and a high value means
26 better performance. Possible settings range from values 1 through 127
27 (which permit spin-down), and values 128 through 254 (which do not
28 permit spin-down). The highest degree of power management is
29 attained with a setting of 1, and the highest I/O performance with a
30 setting of 254. A value of 255 tells hdparm to disable Advanced Power
31 Management altogether on the drive (not all drives support disabling
32 it, but most do)."