From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X-forwarding fails with "Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key"
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 18:01:28
1 On Saturday 25 April 2009 19:25:26 Grant wrote:
2 > >> X-forwarding used to work for me but I haven't used it in a while and
3 > >> now I get:
4 > >>
5 > >> Warning: untrusted X11 forwarding setup failed: xauth key data not
6 > >> generated
7 > >> Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11
8 > >> forwarding. Xlib: connection to "localhost:10.0" refused by server
9 > >> Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
10 > >> Cannot open display:
11 > >
12 > > Ah, I had this problem for months; it was driving me crazy!
13 > >
14 > > I don't remember the specifics, but it had to to with some wankery of
15 > > glibc not working properly with xauth. I'm pretty sure the fix is to
16 > > update to
17 > >
18 > >>=sys-libs/glibc-2.9_p20081201-r2 or regress glibc back a few ticks.
19 > >
20 > > Regards,
21 > > Wyatt
22 >
23 > Thanks Wyatt. I upgraded the server and client to the latest glibc in
24 > portage with the same result. When I tried to downgrade glibc, I got:
25 >
26 > * Sanity check to keep you from breaking your system:
27 > * Downgrading glibc is not supported and a sure way to destruction
28
29 And there's a very good reason for that message - I'm sure you can figure it
30 out. However, some downgrades are safe. You should be able to get away with
31 downgrading to any lower version in the same minor release - 2.9 in your case.
32
33 Tip: quickpkg glibc, portage, python, gcc and other vital stuff befoore you
34 try this stunt:
35
36 Edit the desired build, and look for this in pkg_setup():
37
38 if has_version '>'${CATEGORY}/${PF} ; then
39 eerror "Sanity check to keep you from breaking your system:"
40 eerror " Downgrading glibc is not supported and a sure way to
41 destruction"
42 die "aborting to save your system"
43 fi
44
45 Comment out the die call, re-digest, re-emerge.
46
47 The very very latest ebuild has it in files/eblits/pkg_setup.eblit instead,
48 but you won't be using that for a downgrade.
51 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com