From: Hilco Wijbenga <hilco.wijbenga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage option "--changed-use" not working?
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 03:14:04
1 On 19 January 2012 17:38, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hilco Wijbenga wrote:
3 >> On 19 January 2012 16:05, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> Well, the USE flag got changed.  Isn't that what -N is supposed to do?
5 >>
6 >> -N == --newuse not --changed-use :-)
7 >>
8 >> It's exactly for this reason that I use --changed-use and not
9 >> --newuse. See the man page for the details.
14 > Well, sort of seems like about the same.  The dev changed the USE flag,
15 > it is changed, portage sees it was changed, portage wants to recompile
16 > it with the new/changed flags.
17 >
18 > I'm not exactly clear on the difference between newuse and changed-use.
19 >  If you enable a USE flag, it is changed.  If you disable a USE flag, it
20 > is changed.  If a new flag comes along and it is different than the last
21 > install, then it can be either a new flag or a changed flag.  It should
22 > recompile either way.
23
24 The point here is that a USE flag was removed but it wasn't enabled
25 anyway. So no recompile necessary. Which is what --changed-use is
26 supposed to be for (as I understand the man page).
27
28 > Maybe there is some subtle difference somewhere that I am missing.
29
30 Which is why I included what it says in the man page and then referred
31 you to said man page... ;-)