From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] User can mount/umount but not write to top the new drive
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 21:25:33
1 On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 12:59:31 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 >>    In the past I've gotten around this by having root mount the drive
5 >> and then change ownership to mark:users once it's mounted. Linux
6 >> remembers I've done that once and no longer requires me to do anything
7 >> else as root.
8 >
9 > That's right, the root of the filesystem is now owned by mark.
10 >
11 >>    Is that truly required or is there a way to give the user access to
12 >> the top of the new mount point without roots' involvement?
13 >
14 > Not with a Linux filesystem[1][2], because the filesystem is owned by
15 > root, so only root can change that.
16 >
17 > [1] This isn't strictly true as you can do it with ACLs, but that is far
18 > more complex than simply chowning the root of the filesystem if that is
19 > all you need.
20 >
21 > [2] With Windows filesystem, there are mount options to set the default
22 > ownership, but that is a workaround for the differences between Linux and
23 > Windows metadata.
26 > --
27 > Neil Bothwick
28 >
29 > TROI : What am I sensing?? I'm sensing INCOMPETENCE, you pretentious
30 > bald pseudo-French dickweed!
31
32 Thanks Neil. I guess that unless we figure out Canek's uid/gid options
33 I'll stick with chown, etc.
34
35 Cheers,
36 Mark