From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 08:43:50
1 Bruce Hill wrote:
2 > On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 12:48:11AM -0400, Greg Woodbury wrote:
3 >> To answer Alan's question - the main fault lies on the GNOME project and
4 >> the forcing for systemd down user's systems throats.
5 >>
6 >> Additionally, as certina things were added to Linux to "enhance"
7 >> capabilities, the GNOME developers (apparently) *deliberately* placed
8 >> the programs in /usr/bin, instead of in the generally accepted place of
9 >> /bin.
10 >>
11 >> Alan is correct - there is a deliberate cause of this debacle. Certain
12 >> folks (Lennart being one of many) *are* cramming their vision of Linux
13 >> on the whole community.
14 >>
15 >> I have read severl folks defending their ignoring of the old protocol of
16 >> placing boot-required programs in /bin (and hence on root) as being
17 >> holdovers from "ancient history" and claiming that disk space is so
18 >> cheap these days that it "isn't necessary" to keep this distinction.
19 >>
20 >> As a result of the GNOMEish forcing, some distros have even gone so far
21 >> as to *do away* with /bin - and have placed everything in /usr/bin with
22 >> compatibility symlinks as a holdover/workaround.
23 >>
24 >> I lay this at the feet of GNOME, and thus, at the feet of RedHat.
25 >>
26 >> Linux used to be about *choice* aand leaving up to the users/admins
27 >> about how they wanted to configure their systems. But certain forces in
28 >> the Linux marketplace are hell-bent on imitating Microsoft's "one way to
29 >> do it" thinking that they are outdoing the "evil empire's" evilness.
30 >>
31 >> I fully understand systemd and see that it is a solution seeking a
32 >> problem to solve. And its developers, being nearly identical with the
33 >> set of GNOME developers, are forcing this *thing* on the Linux universe.
34 >>
35 >> Certainly, the SystemV init system needed to have a way of
36 >> *automagically/automatically* handling a wider set of dependencies. When
37 >> we wrote if for System IV at Bell Labs in 1981 or so, we didn't have the
38 >> time to solve the problem of having the computer handle the dependencies
39 >> and moved the handling out to the human mind to solve by setting the
40 >> numerical sequence numbers. (I was one of the writers for System IV
41 >> init while a contractor.)
42 >>
43 >> OpenRC provided a highly compatible and organic extension of the system,
44 >> and Gentoo has been happy for severl years with it. But now, the same
45 >> folks who are thrusting GNOME/systemd down the throats of systems
46 >> everywhere, have invaded or gained converts enought in the Gentoo
47 >> structure to try and force their way on Gentoo.
48 >>
49 >> Gentoo may be flexible enough to allow someone to write an overlay that
50 >> moves the necessary things back to /bin (and install symlinks from
51 >> /usr/bin to /bin) so that an initrd/initramfs is not required. But I
52 >> suspect that Gentoo and many distributions are too far gone down the
53 >> path of deception to recover.
54 >>
55 >> Neil and other may disagree with this assessment, but I saw it coming
56 >> and this is not the first time it has been pointed out - and not just by me.
57 >>
58 >> Who knows though? I may just have to abandon prepared distributions
59 >> completely and do a Linux From Scratch solution, or fork some distro and
60 >> tey to undo the worst of the damage.
61 >>
62 >> --
63 >> G.Wolfe Woodbury
64 >> redwolfe@×××××.com
65 > And that, folks, is the best and most accurate summary I've read to date.
66 >
67 > Thank you, sir, for stepping up to the plate.
68 >
69 > A friend of mine has his own Linux distro (has for a long time), and explained
70 > this to me some time ago. He's not effected by this.
71 >
72 > Bruce
73
74 Name that distro please. ;-)
75
76 Dale
77
81 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!