From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 05:08:56
1 On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 12:48:11AM -0400, Greg Woodbury wrote:
2 >
3 > To answer Alan's question - the main fault lies on the GNOME project and
4 > the forcing for systemd down user's systems throats.
5 >
6 > Additionally, as certina things were added to Linux to "enhance"
7 > capabilities, the GNOME developers (apparently) *deliberately* placed
8 > the programs in /usr/bin, instead of in the generally accepted place of
9 > /bin.
10 >
11 > Alan is correct - there is a deliberate cause of this debacle. Certain
12 > folks (Lennart being one of many) *are* cramming their vision of Linux
13 > on the whole community.
14 >
15 > I have read severl folks defending their ignoring of the old protocol of
16 > placing boot-required programs in /bin (and hence on root) as being
17 > holdovers from "ancient history" and claiming that disk space is so
18 > cheap these days that it "isn't necessary" to keep this distinction.
19 >
20 > As a result of the GNOMEish forcing, some distros have even gone so far
21 > as to *do away* with /bin - and have placed everything in /usr/bin with
22 > compatibility symlinks as a holdover/workaround.
23 >
24 > I lay this at the feet of GNOME, and thus, at the feet of RedHat.
25 >
26 > Linux used to be about *choice* aand leaving up to the users/admins
27 > about how they wanted to configure their systems. But certain forces in
28 > the Linux marketplace are hell-bent on imitating Microsoft's "one way to
29 > do it" thinking that they are outdoing the "evil empire's" evilness.
30 >
31 > I fully understand systemd and see that it is a solution seeking a
32 > problem to solve. And its developers, being nearly identical with the
33 > set of GNOME developers, are forcing this *thing* on the Linux universe.
34 >
35 > Certainly, the SystemV init system needed to have a way of
36 > *automagically/automatically* handling a wider set of dependencies. When
37 > we wrote if for System IV at Bell Labs in 1981 or so, we didn't have the
38 > time to solve the problem of having the computer handle the dependencies
39 > and moved the handling out to the human mind to solve by setting the
40 > numerical sequence numbers. (I was one of the writers for System IV
41 > init while a contractor.)
42 >
43 > OpenRC provided a highly compatible and organic extension of the system,
44 > and Gentoo has been happy for severl years with it. But now, the same
45 > folks who are thrusting GNOME/systemd down the throats of systems
46 > everywhere, have invaded or gained converts enought in the Gentoo
47 > structure to try and force their way on Gentoo.
48 >
49 > Gentoo may be flexible enough to allow someone to write an overlay that
50 > moves the necessary things back to /bin (and install symlinks from
51 > /usr/bin to /bin) so that an initrd/initramfs is not required. But I
52 > suspect that Gentoo and many distributions are too far gone down the
53 > path of deception to recover.
54 >
55 > Neil and other may disagree with this assessment, but I saw it coming
56 > and this is not the first time it has been pointed out - and not just by me.
57 >
58 > Who knows though? I may just have to abandon prepared distributions
59 > completely and do a Linux From Scratch solution, or fork some distro and
60 > tey to undo the worst of the damage.
61 >
62 > --
63 > G.Wolfe Woodbury
64 > redwolfe@×××××.com
65
66 And that, folks, is the best and most accurate summary I've read to date.
67
68 Thank you, sir, for stepping up to the plate.
69
70 A friend of mine has his own Linux distro (has for a long time), and explained
71 this to me some time ago. He's not effected by this.
72
73 Bruce
74 --
75 Happy Penguin Computers >')
76 126 Fenco Drive ( \
77 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^
79 662-269-2706 662-205-6424
80 http://happypenguincomputers.com/
81
82 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
83 Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
84 A: Top-posting.
85 Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
86
87 Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting