From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Alsa Question (alsaconf R.I.P.)
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 21:04:11
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Saturday 18 May 2013 09:39:36 Samuli Suominen wrote:
4 > > On 17/05/13 21:30, Silvio Siefke wrote:
5 > > > <alsa.conf> (generated by alsaconf)
6 > >
7 > > Gentoo's alsa-guide.xml is outdated and is incorrectly suggesting the
8 > > use of alsaconf
9 > >
10 > > When in reality alsaconf doesn't work at all with sys-apps/kmod because
11 > > it doesn't generate 'modules.pcimap' and 'modules.usbmap' files anymore
12 > >
13 > > And in version 1.0.27 of alsa-utils in ~arch the command is no longer
14 > > being installed
15 > >
16 > > So whatever you do, forget about `alsaconf` right from the start, since
17 > > it's no longer required with modern PCI, USB, ... cards because
18 > > sys-fs/udev automatically loads the required drivers
19 > > The `alsaconf` command has been useful only for old PCMCIA and ISA cards
20 > > for years already
21 > >
22 > > Instead you don't do anything else than unmute the mixers using
23 > > alsamixer, and leave the module loading to udev
24 > >
25 > > As in, edit/write /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf by hand only if you need to
26 > > pass some options to the modules
27 >
28 > I am still running media-sound/alsa-utils-1.0.26-r2 here and a couple of
29 > months or so ago I tried rebuilding all sound modules in the kernel, only to
30 > confirm that some devices were again no longer available. Building them as
31 > modules restored them back as they were. So for my setting at least I have
32 > stayed with sound built separately as modules.
33
34 Also, I had to use the install feature of modprobe to get the modules to
35 load correctly as udev did not load all the required modules. Before it
36 was done by an init script.
39 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
40 How do
41 you spend it?
42
43 John Covici