From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Alsa Question (alsaconf R.I.P.)
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 15:55:28
1 On Saturday 18 May 2013 09:39:36 Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > On 17/05/13 21:30, Silvio Siefke wrote:
3 > > <alsa.conf> (generated by alsaconf)
4 >
5 > Gentoo's alsa-guide.xml is outdated and is incorrectly suggesting the
6 > use of alsaconf
7 >
8 > When in reality alsaconf doesn't work at all with sys-apps/kmod because
9 > it doesn't generate 'modules.pcimap' and 'modules.usbmap' files anymore
10 >
11 > And in version 1.0.27 of alsa-utils in ~arch the command is no longer
12 > being installed
13 >
14 > So whatever you do, forget about `alsaconf` right from the start, since
15 > it's no longer required with modern PCI, USB, ... cards because
16 > sys-fs/udev automatically loads the required drivers
17 > The `alsaconf` command has been useful only for old PCMCIA and ISA cards
18 > for years already
19 >
20 > Instead you don't do anything else than unmute the mixers using
21 > alsamixer, and leave the module loading to udev
22 >
23 > As in, edit/write /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf by hand only if you need to
24 > pass some options to the modules
25
26 I am still running media-sound/alsa-utils-1.0.26-r2 here and a couple of
27 months or so ago I tried rebuilding all sound modules in the kernel, only to
28 confirm that some devices were again no longer available. Building them as
29 modules restored them back as they were. So for my setting at least I have
30 stayed with sound built separately as modules.
31 --
32 Regards,
33 Mick