From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Replacements for ivman
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 22:53:00
1 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Dale writes:
5 >> Erik Hahn wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 05:24:27PM -0300, Norberto Bensa wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>> Quoting Erik Hahn <erik_hahn@×××.de>:
10 >>>>
11 >>>>> Does software rot when it's unmaintained or why is that a problem?
12 >>>>>
13 >>>> No, but it develops incompatibilities over time...
14 >>>>
15 >>> So far, it works fine.
16 >>>
17 >> +1
18 >>
19 >> If something works, why does it need to be updated?
22 > Active projects usually get updated to include new featuresm whatever they
23 > may be.
24 >
25 > I first used supermount as auto mounter. Then suddenly it disappeared and
26 > was replaced by submount. Which behaved differently, I had to adapt my
27 > scripts. submount then again got removed, I started using ivman, again I
28 > had to change my scripts to adapt to different behaviour. Now I wonder
29 > what will come next and in which way it will differ.
30 >
31 > Wonko
37 I used to use supermount too. Switching for me was pretty easy tho. I
38 had some compatibility issues between versions of hal and ivman once but
39 nothing really major, just annoying as usual.
40
41 I guess I'm one of those, if it works, just use it. Ivman works for me
42 but if something better comes along and is stable, then that would be
43 cool too.
44
45 Dale
46