From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Something eats my memory - please help
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 17:26:48
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 10/04/2017 00:58, Kai Krakow wrote:
3 >>> Oh, and have a look at gkrellm and its plugins. It might have all you
4 >>> want already and then some :)
5 >> No, I hate that. See above. Too overwhelmin, too distracting, and
6 >> either it steals screen real estate or isn't visible anyways and thus
7 >> no need to run it altogether. As I said, I never understood why one
8 >> would need such fancy monitor stuff. If I feel the need of monitoring
9 >> some status, I usually do this in a console window using CLI tools.
10 >
11 > he :-)
12 >
13 > I actually /like/ gkrellm, been using it for years. On KDE too. See
14 > screenshot.
15 >
16 > I keep it narrow (60 pixels) and with 1920x1080 I can afford that.
17 > I use virtualbox extensively and when I fire up all 12 VMs I have
18 > currently, I find gkrellm is the only thing that really shows me
19 > activity the way I want it. Horses for courses I guess :-)
20 >
21 > Never really groked CDE though. Lilac just ain't my hting
24 Same here. I have Gkrellm on my parking desktop. That's the desktop
25 I'm usually on when I'm not doing anything. At a glance, I can see what
26 the CPUs are doing, memory, disks, fans and a whole host of other
27 things. I can't see me going without Gkrellm. I'd be one sad puppy if
28 it stopped working or being developed. :-( I'd want it up and running
29 no matter what desktop I was using. As you showed, you can make it
30 really small if one wants too.
31
32 Dale
33