From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tun/tap - ifconfig tun0 - device not found
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 17:05:42
1 Hi,
2
3 On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 19:04:41 -0300
4 "Claudinei Matos" <claudineimatos@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > I'm trying to use tun/tap to assign some ip to my server (since I'll need it
7 > to my LVS solution) and I think it's a trivial task to put tun to work, but
8 > I'm trying in 3 different machines (with 2 different kernels) and in both
9 > they when I try to ifconfig tun0 I get the follow message:
10 > tun0: error fetching interface information: Device not found
11 >
12 > Well, I'd try to look if is something wrong with my kernel configuration but
13 > is everything ok since it just need tun/tap support to be compiled (I did
14 > tried both module and built-in).
15 >
16 > /dev/net/tun is a valid character device with 10, 200 (major/minor)
17
18 ...and, is at first all you get by enabling TUN support in the kernel.
19 See /usr/src/linux/Documentation/networking/tuntap.txt for more
20 information about the ioctl() you have to issue in order to register a
21 tun network device (TUNSETIFF). The docs have a code example, too.
22
23 Oh, and I think OpenVPN has inbuilt functionality to create or remove
24 tun network devices (independent from OpenVPNs other functionality).
25
26 I've not completely understood what your usage scenario was, but maybe
27 a dummy network device is enough?
28
29 -hwh
30 --