From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 18:53:56
1 On Sun, 29 Sep 2013 13:43:10 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
2
3 > > Except you can never break Gentoo with a kernel update because, unlike
4 > > some other distros, installing a new kernel does not uninstall the
5 > > previous one. No matter how badly wrng a kernel update goes, you can
6 > > always hit reset then select the old one from the GRUB menu -
7 > > reinstallation doesn't come into it.
8 >
9 > My understanding is that this is not true, and that a USERLAND update
10 > (LVM2, which I use, among them) can cause breakage that will cause the
11 > CURRENT kernel+initramfs to no longer boot.
12 >
13 > Is my understanding flawed?
14
15 I would say so. Unless you change the LVM metadata in such a way that the
16 tools in the initramfs cannt read it, I don't see how this can happen.
17 And you'd have to recreates your LVs for that to occur.
18
19 > Totally side question: Anyone ever hear Linus' opinion of an initramfs
20 > being required to boot a system?
21
22 I suppose the fact that his kernel includes an initramfs and always tries
23 to load it when booting, and that there isn't even an option to disable
24 this behaviour, gives a good indication of his feelings towards the idea
25 of an initramfs.
29 Neil Bothwick
30
31 Q. What is the difference between Queensland and yoghurt?
32 A. Yoghurt has an active culture.