From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 17:43:41
1 On 2013-09-28 6:46 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > Except you can never break Gentoo with a kernel update because, unlike
3 > some other distros, installing a new kernel does not uninstall the
4 > previous one. No matter how badly wrng a kernel update goes, you can
5 > always hit reset then select the old one from the GRUB menu -
6 > reinstallation doesn't come into it.
7
8 My understanding is that this is not true, and that a USERLAND update
9 (LVM2, which I use, among them) can cause breakage that will cause the
10 CURRENT kernel+initramfs to no longer boot.
11
12 Is my understanding flawed?
13
14 Totally side question: Anyone ever hear Linus' opinion of an initramfs
15 being required to boot a system?