From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 19:59:04
1 On 29/09/2013 19:43, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2013-09-28 6:46 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> Except you can never break Gentoo with a kernel update because, unlike
4 >> some other distros, installing a new kernel does not uninstall the
5 >> previous one. No matter how badly wrng a kernel update goes, you can
6 >> always hit reset then select the old one from the GRUB menu -
7 >> reinstallation doesn't come into it.
8 >
9 > My understanding is that this is not true, and that a USERLAND update
10 > (LVM2, which I use, among them) can cause breakage that will cause the
11 > CURRENT kernel+initramfs to no longer boot.
12 >
13 > Is my understanding flawed?
14
15 No, this can happen in theory. It's quite simple to describe in somewhat
16 abstract terms:
17
18 Imagine for example that LVM makes a backwards-incompatible change to
19 it's metadata. You are warned about this and take care to update your
20 kernel so that it can deal with the new metadata by including support
21 for both formats.
22
23 And you forget to update the initramfs. Reboot. Oops.
24
25 This is merely highly inconvenient, not the end of the world. Download a
26 very recent rescue disk on another computer and boot with that to effect
27 the repair. Then leave work and make your local publican's day whilst
28 you vent your fury yet again
29
30 Point is, this is not a situation unique to kernels, userlands and
31 initramfs. That kind of error can occur in so many different ways (eg
32 deploy a seriously broken linker and loader, or simply uninstall bash on
33 a RHEL4 host), it's just that when it happens in the circumstances you
34 ask about, it's one of the most inconvenient errors in a huge list.
35
36 This is why we sysadmins have jobs - we are supposed to have subtantial
37 clue and be able to predict and avoid such goofs.
38
39 > Totally side question: Anyone ever hear Linus' opinion of an initramfs
40 > being required to boot a system?
41
42 Never read it myself, but I'll hazard a guess:
43
44 He detests it with a passion calling it a grotesque hack, but tolerates
45 it because binary distros need it and no-one has come up with something
46 better (i.e. it sucks less)?
50 Alan McKinnon
51 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com