From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 22:46:30
1 On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 17:15:41 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
4
5 > > Mandrake used an initrd, not the same as an initramfs, which is
6 > > directly supported by the kernel.
7
8 > Whichever. Same shoes, different color is all.
9
10 Read the kernel docs on initramfs, you'll then understand that this is
11 not true.
12
13 > > Good luck trying to find something else that doesn't use an init*.
14
15 > Thing is, those others are a LOT faster to install. Heck, I got
16 > Mandrake down to like 30 minutes from booting CD to booting off the hard
17 > drive and logging in and that was a COMPLETE install too. I installed
18 > Kubuntu for my brother and while not Gentoo, he doesn't have issues.
19 > Kubuntu takes care of the init thingy, NOT ME. If it did break,
20 > reinstall and go back to surfing. It fails on Gentoo, I'm stuck. I'm
21 > installing something and it won't be spending a good day to two days
22 > installing Gentoo.
23
24 Except you can never break Gentoo with a kernel update because, unlike
25 some other distros, installing a new kernel does not uninstall the
26 previous one. No matter how badly wrng a kernel update goes, you can
27 always hit reset then select the old one from the GRUB menu -
28 reinstallation doesn't come into it.
29
30 > It seems folks think I just don't like new stuff. I don't mind new
31 > stuff. I use new stuff quite often. I just don't like using stuff that
32 > breaks, switching to something else to get away from it, then turn right
33 > around and have the same broken junk thrown back at me.
34
35 Except it's not the same. How long ago did you switch? You've been around
36 here for a while, I suspect your Mandrake experience with with a 2.4
37 kernel, which didn't have initramfs available, and initrd. The 2.6
38 kernel's initramfs was developed to address the problems with initrds.
39
40 This isn't even as close as comparing apples and oranges.
43 > I'm sure I can find something that
44 > will boot in somewhat short order. Question is, what will it be?
45
46 vmlinuz.old :)
50 Neil Bothwick
51
52 Power outage at a department store yesterday, Twenty people were
53 trapped on the escalators.