From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can emerge play a sound on either a successful/unsuccessful build?
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 12:09:49
1 On 07/14/2014 07:46 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 18:52:57 +0800, Andrew Lowe wrote:
3 >
4 >> I have a laptop churning away in the loungeroom doing an
5 >> "emerge -NuD world" whilst I'm in my office, amongst other things
6 >> composing this email. If my world update fails, I won't know until I
7 >> look at the screen in the other room. Is there a way to get emerge to
8 >> play a song depending upon the status of the emerge build?
9 >
10 > Using portage hooks, either globally in /etc/portage/bashrc or per
11 > package in /etc/portage/package.env. I have this in bashrc to warn me of
12 > failures
13 >
14 > register_die_hook ebuild_failed
15 > ebuild_failed {
16 > do something foreboding
17 > }
18 >
19 > I actually have it send an alert to my phone with Posterous but you can
20 > do whatever you want.
21 >
22 > I also use package.env to alert me when particularly
23 > time-consuming ebuilds, like LibreOffice and Chromium, have completed
24 > successfully.
28 Neil,
29 This sounds interesting. Care to share one of these hooks to show what
30 they actually look like?
31
32 Regards,
33 Andrew