From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] recommended applications
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 12:01:52
1 Hi,
2
3 On Sun, 24 May 2015 15:02:13 +0430 behrouz khosravi wrote:
4 > Hello everyone. After spending about a year in the world of linux (and
5 > mostly beloved gentoo!) I have realized that the key to a stable and fast
6 > machine is to keep the system as small as possible.
7 > So I am going to use console based tools mostly. I will also replace KDE
8 > with i3wm.
9 >
10 > What do you recommend as a replacement for kmail? (is mutt a good choise?)
11
12 I depends on personal preferences. I'm not sure why, but I always
13 had problems with intensive mail traffic and mutt. Also many mails
14 are html-base and mutt is not the best way to deal with them.
15 (I know that html mails are disgusting, but too many people use
16 them these days to disregard this trend completely.)
17
18 So I use sylpheed. It is GUI-based, can read html mails (but not
19 write them, he-he). So it suits me well. Your mileage may vary, of
20 course.
21
22 > What about IRC client?
23
24 Use irssi. It is a reliable and highly configurable CLI solution.
25
26 > Torrent client?
27
28 Use transmission. Just compile it without qt* and gtk flags. This
29 is a client-server application, so transmission-daemon runs as
30 system service as unpriviledged user and all management is done via
31 nice CLI tool transmission-remote. Also transmission is
32 fully-fledged solution supporting all trends like dht, utp and
33 so on. You'll love it.
34
35 > I know that I can use google! but I would like to know your opinion.
36
37 Browser-based solution can't be lightweight, so I try to avoid them
38 whenever possible.
39
40 Best regards,
41 Andrew Savchenko