From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /usr and /home to another partition
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 02:25:31
1 On Thursday 06 October 2005 20:52, Matthias Langer wrote:
2 > Joe Menola wrote:
3 > >On Thursday October 6 2005 7:49 pm, Matthias Langer wrote:
4 > >>I want to move the /usr and /home directories to another partition,
5 > >>because I'm thinking of buying a new HD. It would be great if both
6 > >>directories were on the same partition, as splitting drives never seemed
7 > >>very appealing to me. As far as I know, one possibility would be to
8 > >>[with the boot-cd]
9 > >>
10 > Now another genooist pointed out that it would be wiser to use rsync or
11 > tar instead of just
12 > # cp - r /usr /mnt/newHd_part_usr/
13 > So, should I enter
14 > # rsync -r /usr /mnt/newHd_part_usr/
15 > or are there some options I should activate to make sure I get what I want
16 > ?
17 >
18 > Thanks, Matthias
19 rsync -a will get all times and permissions, /etc. I would STRONGLY second
20 what the other guy said about lvm, though. If you buy a new hard drive,
21 don't just put filesystems and partitions on it, go the LVM route, make the
22 logical volumes small, and don't use the whole drive for lvs, you can grow
23 anything you want later.
24 --
25 John Jolet
26 Your On-Demand IT Department