From: Matthias Langer <mlangc@×××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /usr and /home to another partition
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 01:57:18
1 Joe Menola wrote:
2
3 >On Thursday October 6 2005 7:49 pm, Matthias Langer wrote:
6 >>I want to move the /usr and /home directories to another partition,
7 >>because I'm thinking of buying a new HD. It would be great if both
8 >>directories were on the same partition, as splitting drives never seemed
9 >>very appealing to me. As far as I know, one possibility would be to
10 >>[with the boot-cd]
11 >>
12 >># mv /usr /mnt/newHD/
13 >># mv /home /mnt/newHD/
14 >># ln -s /mnt/newHD/usr usr
15 >># ln -s /mnt/newHD/home home
16 >>
17 >>However, I'm not sure if this is the suggested method of doing so and to
18 >>be honest, I'm not completley sure if this would even work.
19 >>
20 >>Any comments or suggestions ?
24 >In theory I suppose that would work. Myself, I would copy the contents
25 >to /mnt/newHD/ then rename the original directories and create the links. The
26 >renamed directories can be deleted after you've verified positive results.
27 >And if it all craps out, the originals can simply be renamed back to /usr
28 >and /home.
29 >You should consider creating separate partitions for these though. At some
30 >point you may wish to blow out the install but retain your /home. Separate
31 >partitions makes this much easier. And also opens the possibility of sharing
32 >your /home with multiple installs.
33 >
34 >HTH -jm
37 Well, maybe you are right and creating a /usr and a /home partition is
38 the better choice. As I want to buy a 250GB drive, I'm thinking of 20G
39 for /usr and 230GB for home, while still 16GB remain for /opt, /root,
40 /bin .... .
41 Now another genooist pointed out that it would be wiser to use rsync or
42 tar instead of just
43 # cp - r /usr /mnt/newHd_part_usr/
44 So, should I enter
45 # rsync -r /usr /mnt/newHd_part_usr/
46 or are there some options I should activate to make sure I get what I want ?
47
48 Thanks, Matthias
49 --
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list